EIL Recruitment website : http://recruitment.eil.co.in/
There were 100 questions on TECHNICAL and 50 questions on GENERAL AWARENESS.
NOTE: There are no APTITUDE questions.
¼th negative marks for all the questions.
2 hours exam. (No calculator allowed).
There were 100 questions on TECHNICAL and 50 questions on GENERAL AWARENESS.
NOTE: There are no APTITUDE questions.
¼th negative marks for all the questions.
2 hours exam. (No calculator allowed).
General Awareness Question from EIL exam 2008
1. Who was the first deputy prime minister of India.
2. What type the Indian Economy is
1. Socialist 2. Developed 3. mixed 4. Captalist
3. Which country is land locked
1. Angola 2. Zimbabway 3. Tanzania 4. Nigeria
4. Who got the Rammon Magases Award 2007 this year. there are few names I don't remember.
5. Who was the youngest captain in the Indian Cricket?
1. Nawab Pataudi 2. Sachin tendulkar 3. Lala Amarnath
6. Who among these is Oddisee Dancer.
1. Hema Malini 2. Megha Panighari.. etc there are also few name.
7. Term "Roll On" comes in which game ?
1 Cricket 2. Tennis 2. Golf 3. Chess
8. Which has the longest cost line ?
1. Kranataka 2. Kerla 3. Tamilnadu 4.Maharastra
9. In which the sun temple is situated
1. Orissa 2. Madhya Pradash 3. UP
10. Who is the main God in the Rig Veda
1. Agni 2 Indra 3. Pashupati 4. Surya
11. Which tax is not shared by the central govt. with the state govt.
1. Income tax 2. Excise Duty .... etc.
General Awareness Question from EIL exam 2009
Out of 50 ques hardly 3-4 were of general English, no ques.is from aptitude the rest all were GK ques.
1. Which country is rich in thorium..
2. "Eco Mark" is used on products which are:
Ans. Eco friendly.
3. Animax channel belong to which of the following:
a) sony pictures, b)zee, c)star, d)disney
4. first nuclear plant in India was set up at:
5. Recently India has done "Science Express Deal" with which of the following countries:
a) Germany, b) Japan, c) China, d) Russia
6. Pandit Jwaharlal Nehru award was given first time to the president of which of the following countries:
a) Brazil, b) Mexico, c) Austria, d) Sweden.
7. Kaziranga National Park is Famous for:
a) Rhino, b) Zebra, etc....
8. APJ Abdul klam is related to which of the following missiles:
a) ASLV, b) GSLV, c) SLV,etc..
9. Progen is the BPO of which company:
a) Satyam, b) Wipro, c) Infosys, etc..
10. Bharat Parvasi Divas is celebrated on which day:
Ans. 9th nov.
11. Pongal is the festival belongs to which state:
a) Kerela, b) Karnatka, c) Orissa, etc..
12. Which dance is known as the "Ballet of East":
a) kathak, b)bharatnatyam, c) kuchipudi, d) manipuri
13. Sunderbans are famous for:
a) Mangroves, b) Tropical forests, etc..
14. The famous Golfer Vijay Singh belongs to which country:
a) Fiiji, b) keniya, c) Maldives, etc..
15. LTTE is related to which country:
16. Which of the following is not included in new 7 wonders:
a) Taj Mahal, b) The Grand Canyon, c) machhi Puchhi, etc..
17. Who is known as the father of modren biology?
a) Charles Darwin, etc...
18. P.Sainath is related to which of the following:
a) TV Anchoring, b) Drama, c) Mountaineering, etc...
19. The elephants, the tiger, the cell is written by:
a) Sashi Throor, etc....
20. Anandmath is written by which author:
a) Rabindernath Tagore, b)BC Chatterji, c) Premchand, etc...
21. Bessel 2 norms are related to:
a) Cyber crimes, etc...
22. Steve Fosset is related to:
a) Crocodile Hunting, etc...
23. Dr. MS Swaminathan is related to :
a) planning comission, b) sixth pay comission, c) national farmers comission, etc..
24. First soundless movie of Bolyywood:
Ans. Alam Ara
25. What is the meaning of Dime a Dozen...?
a) easy to get, b) easily available,etc...
26. Nightmare: Dream
a) Dread: Expectation, b) Frustration: Confusion,etc..
27. Meaning of Concur:
a) to deny, b) Unusual, etc...
28. Golden Arches is related to which of the following:
a) KFC, b) Mcdonals,etc...
29. Meaning of: "The way the wind blows" :
a) way the things were , b) way the things are, etc...
30. I would hope that you ____ take tea with me 2mrw.
a) shall, b) will, c) would, d) could
31. In Ambulance which of the aural postural balance is difficult to maintain:
a) nose, b) eyes, c) ears, d) hands
32. the next olympics wiil be held in which country:
a) london, b) New York, c) Paris, d) Switzerland
33. Where is the OPEC head office located?
General Awareness Question from EIL exam 2012
1) Name the first country to impose CARBON TAX
2) The author of the book “The Elephant, the Tiger and the Cellphone” - Shashi Tharoor
3) Which dance form is called “Ballet of East”
4) Where the 2012 Olympics are going to be held - London
5) “Progeon” is the BPO of which company
(a) Infosys (b) Satyam (c) Wipro (d) HCL
6) Which prize is known as the Alternative Nobel Prize
Ans: Right Livelihood Award (not sure)
7) How many litres are equal to One barrel - 159 litres
8) Where is the OPEC headquarter located - Vienna, Austria
9) Name the first country to legalize EUTHANASIA
10) ANIMAX is of which channel
(a) Sony (b) Disney (c) Zee
11) P. Sainath is associated with - Journalism
12) Golfer Vijay Singh is from which country - Fiji
13) Dr. M.S.Swaminathan is associated with
(a) Planning Commission (b) Sixth Pay Commission
(c) National Commission on Farmers (d) Administrative Affairs Association
Ans: National Commission on Farmers
14) Name the first silent Indian movie - Raja Harishchandra
15) Who was the first women president of Indian National Congress - Sarojini Naidu
16) Which of the following is not in the SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD
Ans: don’t remember the options
17) Who is the father of modern biology
(a) Aristotle (b) Mendel (c) (d)
18) “Science Express” is launched with the help of which country
(a) Germany (b) Japan (c) (d)
19) “Concur” means – to agree
20) Steve Fosset is associated with - Adventure
21) LTTE is associated with – Sri Lanka
22) “Golden Arches” are associated with –
(a)KFC (b) Mc Donalds (c) Nirulas (d)
Ans: Mc Donalds
23) “Taj Mahal” was originally set to be built in which Indian state-
(a)Rajasthan (b) MP (c) Orissa (d) Maharashtra
Ans: Maharashtra (Burhanpur)
24) “dime a dozen” means – extremely common and cheap
25) “way wind blows” means – how things are going to be
26) “e-choupal” initiative was taken by – ITC
27) When is PRAVASI BHARATIYA DIWAS celebrated - 9 January
28) Two questions were on SYNONYMS and ANTONYMS.
29) Four sentences were given and we had to detect the wrong use of the word “ALLOW” in one of the given sentences.
30) Two questions on Fill in the blanks using appropriate words.
Technical EIL question from 2008 exam
Section - II
51. The resistance of earth wire in ohm is ………..
a) 1 b) 20 c) 100 d)……….
52. In which connection the distribution T/F is connected?
a) ▲ / Y b) Y / ▲ c) ▲ / ▲ d) Y / Y
53. Skin effect is proportional
a) f b) f2 c) doesn’t depend on f d)……..
54. A 3P supply is connected in Y connected Resistance. If one of the resistors is removed then the % of reduced load is
a) 33 1/3 b) 50 c) 66 2/3 d) 75
55. A 25MVA 3300/400V T/F is termed as per winding is ……
a) primary 3300V & Secondary 400V
b) primary 3300V & low voltage winding 400V
a) High voltage winding 3300V & Secondary 400V
a) High voltage winding 3300V & low voltage winding 400V
56. T/F oil is useful for ……..
a) protection & cooling b)… c)………….
57. Buchholz relay is used ……….
a) protection T/F b) oil T/F c) Air core T/F d)……..
58. Resistor switching is used in which type Circuit Breaker?
a) oil filled CB b) Air blast CB c) Gas filled CB d)……..
59. Comparing to AC transmission, corona & R in DC transmission is…….
a) lower b) higher c) same d) ………..
60. Form factor is the ratio of ………
a) peak to avg b) rms to avg c)…. d)……..
61. To transmit the Power which must be present…?
a) Reactance b) Resistance c) Capacitance d) none of above
62. If the characteristic Impedance is equal to load Impedance then……
a) voltage will be increased b) power transmission is zero
c) …… d) max. power is transmission to load
63. In general the conductor used in transmission system is
a) cu b) ACSR c) ………… d)……..
64. In EHV tranm. The conductors are ……..
a) Cu roads b) Cu bars with Si c) Cu tube with Si plate d)…….
65. The normal highest generated voltage in India is
a) 6.6KV b) 132KV c) 11KV d)……..
66 From the point of economy, the voltage of transm. is…….
a) small b) medium c) high d)very small
67 In general the insulation of conductor depends on
a) lighting Voltage b) switching V. c) surge vol. d)……….
68. the max. power will be transferred if ……
a) sending end vol. is high b) receiving end v is high
c)…….. d) corona loss is least
69. By which compensation the stability is increased
a) shunt compns b) series compn c) .. d)……
70. Meggar is used for measuring ……..
a) low resistance b) medium resi c) high & insulation resis
71. Moving Iron instruments are applicable with
a) DC only b) AC only c) DC & AC
72. Meggar is used to find the resistance in
a) short ckt condition b) O/C cond c) at high resistance
73. Inductance is measured by ……
a) weins bridge b) Schering c) Maxwell’s bridge d)…..
74. low resistance is measured by…….
a) resistance box b) Anderson bridge c) Kelvin-double brdg d)….
75. Induction type 1-p wattmeter reads …..
a)true value b) apparent value c)volt ampere value d)……..
76. The string chat is used for
a) To measure Insulation b) To decide the distance b/w towers c)…. d)..
77. The string effcy in AC sys is 80% Then for same power, the string effcy in dc sys is
a)less than 80% b) 80% c) more than 80% d)zero
78. The machine with same rating, with increase in voltage then …….
a) size increases b) cost increases c)……. d)……
79. The temperature rise in the sys, which leads to …..
a) Increases stress& length b) increases stress but decreases length
c) Decreases stress & increase length d) decrease stress & length
80. The min. distance from cable to foundation of Building is ……..
a) 1cm b) 10cm c) 100cm d)1000cm
81. In single core cable which is not present
a) sheath b)steal armouring c)…
82. The component which is the ore of lead.
a)ceramic b) citric c)……
83. To absorb the lighting surges which of the following is used…?
a) Breather b) Conservator c) Horn Caps d)….
84. The coefficient of reflection in open ended transmission is
a) -1 b) 0 c) a d) 1
85. For 50KVA & 132KV base voltage base voltage, the p.u. impedance is 0.4 ohm then for 100KVA & 132 KV base voltage then the p.u impedance is ….ohm
a) 0.4 b) 0.8 c) 0.2 d) 1.6
86. According to underground cables
a) stress b/w sheath & conductor is high b) inrush of core & conductor
87. The corona effect is more in
a) summer b) winter c) dry weather d) humidity weather
88. One joule cycle is
89. One Q. depends on energy meter, ie which measures power in general ( not exactly…….)
a) ampere hour meter b) volt-ampere meter c) watthour meter d)…….
90. In radial network the source is fed from
a) One end b) both ends c) at central d) ……..
91. In Indicating instrument some error is shown when meter is in full scale deflection, then error is
a) same for half scale def. b)same at any deflection
c) less than full-scale def. d)half at half scale def.
92. The reactive power at the load end
a) Proportional to sending end vol. b) Proportional to line vol drop.
c) Proportional to line reactive vol drop d)……..
93. Which of the following is high speed turbine
a) wind b)steam c) hydro d)……
94. The steady state stability limit is max. when…..
a) low regulation voltage b) high sending end voltage
c) low line reactance d)……….
95. Synchronous M/C with under excitation with reactive power absorption , acts as
a) synch. Motor b) synch gen c) synchr capacitor d)……..
96. Q based on pettier ▲le ……..ie what’s the ratio of resistance somthg like……………..
97. At the time of Arc extension ,the arc quenching at
a) zero vol b) zero current c) maxi vol d) maxi current
98. Over excited operation of Syncr M/C is for….
a) lead compensation b) lag cmp. c) lead lag com. d)……..
99. A 10KVA T/F having cu loss at full load is 1600W, when operated at half load the cu loss would be in W
a) 800 b)1600 c) 200 d) 400
100. The rating of syncs gen is 75KW at 0.8 pf means……
a) The m/c delivers 75kw to lagging loads only
b) The supply for gen is 75kw at 0.8 power factor
c) The rating of gen is 75kw and gives 0.8 pf lagging
101. One Q depends on armature reaction………what is the cause of demagnetization……..
102. The skin effect is minimum when the conductor is in the shape of……
a) circular b) flat c) oval d) hallow
103. Damper bars used in syn gen is to …
a) reduce the losses b) produce the induction action c) reduce unbalances d)…….
104. The o/p of controller is given to……
a) sensor b) amplifier c) processor d)….
105. PID controller is used for which type of compensation……
a) lead comp. b) lag com. c) lead lag com. d)……
106. One simple Q based on Root locus…..
107. The gain margin or phase margin r calculated to find the…….
a) time response b) f resp. c)…….. d)……
108. In a 3p full converter the conducting angle b/w two diodes is
a) 60o b) 90o c) 1200o d) 120o
109. To fed the Rl Load ,How many components are in 1p inverter ..
a) 2 diodes b) 2 thy 2 D c) 2 Thy d)……
110. One Simple Q on overlapping of two thyr
111. Two more Q on Basics of PE
113. According to Thyr wnhich of the foll is correct?
a) holding curnt > latching crnt
b) holding curnt < latching crnt
Technical Question from EIL 2009 exam
Part-2 (Technical-100 ques.)
1. Dimensions of Power:
a) M1L2T-3, b) M1L2T-2, c) M1L1T-3, etc...
2. Torque in Induction Motor is directly proportional to:
a) V, b) V(pwr)2, c) V(pwr)3, d) V(pwr)1/2
3. Power in Transmission lines is proportional to:
a) V, b) V(pwr)2, c) V(pwr)3, d)V(pwr)1/2
4. Flashover at the surface of condenser bushings is due to:
a) moisture in air, etc..
5. When Surge impedence equal characterstic impedance then :
a) Vs = Vr, b) Vs> Vr, c) Vs< Vr, etc..
6. Stability limit is higher in:
a) Steady state, b) Transient state, c) Sub transient state, etc..
7. Those instruments which give constants and direction only are called:
a) Secondary type, b) Absolute type, c) Deflection type, d) Integrating type.
8. The internal resistance of a meter is 4 ohm and current drawn is 30mA. If we want to increase its range as voltmeter upto 150V then find out the series resistance added in the circuit?
Ans. 4996 ohm
9. 1 ques like... If relay setting is at 125% and the CT ratio is 400/5, then the fault current in hv winding is?
Ans. 6.25 amp.
10. If capacitve reactance of a 200 km line is 2000 ohm then what will be the charging reactance of a 100 km line?
a) 2000 ohm, b) 4000ohm, c) 500 ohm, d) 8000ohm.
11. Which is wrong:
a) Transient response is frequency domain.
b) Routh criteria is stability based.
c) Nyquist is time domain.
12. With the increase in feedback of the system which will increase:
a) stability, b) gain, etc...
13. Mechanical stress is max. at which part of the cable:
a) core, b) sheath, etc...
14. Underground cable laying is done by:
ans. conduits and piping.
15. Operation and maintenance cost is min. in which of the following plants:
a) Thermal, b) Nuclear, c) Hydel, d) Diesel.
16. 1 ques like.... earliest power plant is:
a) Thermal, b) Nuclear, c) Unconventional, etc....
17. Circuit Breaker arcing contacts are made of which material:
a) copper tungsten alloy, b) copper, c) silver, d) graphite.
18. The reflection coefficient for voltage of a short circuited line is:
a) -1, b) 1, c) 0, d) 2
19. Double cage rotor is used in Induction motor is to improve:
Ans. starting torque.
20. If resistance of the secondary winding of the transformer is given as .02ohm and reactance .06ohm then find out the primary resistance and reactance respectively:
Ans. .08 ohm and .24ohm
21. Skewing in the squirrel cage rotor of Induction motor is purposely done to :
Ans. to avoid interlocking and reduce noise.
22. 1 ques like.......capacitance of 3phase line is given 4microF. if we consider single line to groundthen its capacitance will be:
a) 4microF, b) 2microF, c) 1microF, d) 8microF
23. The normal frequency RMS voltage that appears across the breaker poles after final arc extinction is known as:
Ans. Recovery voltage
24. 1 ques like...... In power factor meter, which element is used as shunt in instruments:
a) silver, b) copper, c) manganin, etc...
25. 1 ques like...If anode of the SCR is made positive and cathode is made negative thenit will be:
Ans. forward biased and conducting.
26. 1 ques like.... Natural commutation is done in...
a) cycloconverters, b) choppers, c) AC voltage controllers, etc.
27. 1 ques was based on....... Class B insulation is done in :
a) DC choppers , etc.....
28. the highest range of temperature of insulations is...
29. temperature of the boiler furnace is measured by:
Ans. optical pyrometer
30. Resistivity of insulators with temperature
a) decreases linearly, b) decreases exponentially, c) increases, d) remains same.
31. On increasing the frequency of the transformer , hysterisis loss and eddy current loss respectively:
a) decreases and remains same, b) decreases and increases, c) both increases , d) both decreases.
32. Rotor copper losses are small in Induction Motor as compared to transformer becoz:
Ans. Rotor core is laminated.
33. 1 ques like.... arrange the following in ascending order:
resistance split, capacitor start capacitor run etc motors were given...
34. Which type of turbine is used in tydel power generation:
a) Kaplan, b) Fransis, c) Pelton Wheel type, d) Reverse type.
35. Which of the following is the distribution 3 phase voltage:
a) 220 V, b) 415 V, c) 680 V, d) 800 V.
36. Which of the following bridges is used to measure dielectric losses in capacitor:
a) Schearing Bridge, b) Wein's Bridge, c) De-Sauty Bridge, d) Maxwell Bridge.
37. 1 ques is based on..... Cros have which of the following...
a) Vertical and Horizontal plates, b) sweep, etc...
38. 1 ques like..... A full wave centre tap thyristor is given.. find out the PIV..? dnt remember exactly some values were given...
a) 141.3 V, b) 100 V, c) 248.2 V, etc...
39. Speed of the Induction Motor at full load is 1400 rpm , what will be the speed at half the load...
a)1400rpm, b) 1420rpm, c) 1440rpm, d) 1460rpm.
40. The line feeding from distribution system to the consumers is called:
a) feeder, b) service mains, c) distributor, etc...
41. Which of the following generation plant is most reliable.
ans. Interconnected system.
42. 1 ques like.... load current in thyristor depends upon.....
a) delay angle and load type, b) delay angle but not on load type, c) only delay angle, etc...
43. Buchholz relay is:
a) a gas actuated relay, b) current sensitive relay, c) overcurrent relay, d) over voltage relay.
44. Diac is a:
a) 4 terminal 2junction device, b) 3 terminal 2 junction device, c) 5 terminal 3 junction device, d) 6 terminal 3 junction device.
45. Dual converter consists of:
Ans. 1 converter and 1 inverter.
46. Slip is min. for which of the following machine:
a) 25HP,4 Pole , b) 1HP, 4 pole, c) 2 HP , 6 pole, d) 25 HP, 6 Pole.
47. In Air Blast circuit breakers the air pressure inside is:
a) 1kg/cm2, b) 100 mm of Hg , c) 20-30 kg/cm2, d) 200-300 kg/cm2.
48. 1Barrel contains how much litres:
a) 216, b) 159, etc....
49. DC Choppers are used to convert:
a) DC to DC, b) AC to DC, c) AC to AC, etc....
50. 1 ques like.... how the corona effect varies with size and frequency, it increases with..
a) increasing size and reducing supply frequency, b) reducing size and incresing supply frequency, etc...
51. 1 ques was based on..... in frequency variable method which of the following factor is kept constant:
a) V/f = constant, b) Vf = constant, c)V=constant, d) none of these..
52. 1 ques was based on ..... relation of Voltage with load angle delta..... options were...
a) V/1-& , b) V/1+&, c) 1-&/&V, d) &/(1-&)V
53. 1 ques like.... Universal motor is:
a) frequency dependent, b) frequency independent, etc...
54. If CT winding connections are made in star/delta on the primary side of the T/F then CT connections on the secondary side winding of T/F will be:
55. slip rings in DC machines are made of:
a) carbon, b) graphite, c) copper alloy, d) copper.
56. 1 ques like.... bending radius of the cable should be:
a) D, b)2D, c) 3D, d) 4D
57. 1 ques like..... In cycloconverters the O/P frequency power factor will bw as compared to I/P frequency power factor:
a) higher, b) lower, c) same..
58. In higher rating transformers the tank is of the following type:
a) radiator, b) oil tank, c) seperator, etc.
59. Merz Price protection is used in :
a) Alternator, b) Transmission lines, c) Transformer, etc.
60. Meggar is:
a) moving coil type, b) moving iron type, etc.
61. Differential relay is:
a) over current relay, b) over voltage relay, etc.
62. 1 ques like....Two transformers are connected in parallel R/X is smthing..... then the currents in the two T/F will be:
a) Ia lags Ib , b) Ia leads Ib, c) both will be in phase, etc....
63. skin effect does not depend upon:
Ans. ambient temperature.
64. 1 ques like.... AC resistance is more due to....
Ans. skin effect
65. Human body gets shock due to:
a) static charge discharging of body, b) voltage induced in the body, c) current induced in the body,d)none of these.
66. Heavy water in nuclear reactor is used as:
a) accelerating agent, b) decclerating agent, c) lubricating agent, d) cooling agent.
67. specifications of earth plate are:
a) 60* 60*12.5 , b) 90*90*12.5 , etc.
68. Distance of ground electrode from building is:
a) 1m, b) 2m, c) 3m , d)4m
69. Why earth pit is filled with alternate layers of salt and charcoal:
Ans. to reduce earth's resistance.
70. If cos& is a power factor, then MVAR ia proportional to:
a) cos&, b) sin&, etc...
71. 1 ques like.....why central phase is reversed.....(smthing dnt remember exactly)
72. capacitors are connected where at the transmission line:
a) at sending end, b) at receiving end, c) in the middle of the line, etc.
73. Which gas is used in the gas fired prime movers at gas power plants:
a) LPG, b) CNG, etc.